Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Observing

During the four day weekend that we had, I was able to go down to my grandma's house and visit the immense lake behind her house. I figured that this lake would be a terrific place to observe people and nature. It was a calm day out and the water of the lake was not moving very much, there were tons of ducks and other species of birds flying all around me. Also in the water there were a few fish that jumped up, I didn't get a great view of them but I believe they were bass. My eyes slowly drifted from the water and I noticed that there is a pathway around the lake where people can walk their dogs. there were about three couples walking with their dogs, and 4 or 5 people that were roller skating along the vast lake.
Since i had just examined the lake at a broad perspective, it was now time for me to carefully look at one area of the lake. I looked down towards the far corner of the lake and studied it. At the corner were three mallard ducks from where I was these creatures looked to be a red and grayish color. One of the ducks kept on diving under water and would stay under for what felt like an eternity until shooting back up into a completely different area. The other two ducks were at the shore bank digging their heads into the moist ground, it had just finished raining so I imagine that the 2 ducks were digging for their appetizing meal for fresh worms. The ducks carried on this process for a while so I decided to head inside

2 comments:

  1. Do you like to bird watch? I like to watch birds time to time if I see anything I know, but I do not know lots of their names. I do not believe that I have ever seen ducks that were ever red and gray before. Also ducks that I have seen before never dived underneath the water to another area, which sounds very cool. Obviously everyone has seen Canadian Geese before and knows what they all look like. These ducks that you described sound very interesting. I saw everything you said in my head, while reading what you have written here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bird watching sounds amazing from your point of view. The details were amusing and interesting to think that ducks dive underwater and come right back up with dinner; it is quite fascinating in my eyes. The exuberant colors they flaunt and the different species that even exist is absolutely mesmerizing to watch as they float in the water or fly way up above through the clouds. It can also seem refreshing and relaxing to sit by the water and just observe things you would never really consider doing in the first place. I truly enjoyed picturing your images of the lake and sky, with the ducks all around doing their own separate activities!

    ReplyDelete